Usitative

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed May 17 17:18:21 UTC 2006

Hi, Scott,

Your points are well-made and well-taken. :-)

However, one of the underlying bigotries in this country - and perhaps
across the world - is that Indigenous people do not have sophisticated
mathematical or scientific concepts. There is an enormous amount of physical
material that demonstrates that this is not true.

So what I am proposing is to use constrained technology to watch the system
emerge. Using constrained technology eliminates the opportunity for people
to make up stuff in their own heads. Certainly we have seen enough academic
stories. However, relations can be found and traced, and put together, these
define a System. It's a lot like saying X + 2 = 4, where in this case, X can
only be "2".

In English, you look for math in semantics (usual & customary, numerosity,
and the abstract semantics of equations); in Diné Bizaad, you look for it in
the grammar. These grammatical positions form little "sites" that then show
up like stars in the sky. The emergent system are the lines that the stories
that employ these sites describe. Thus you can find an emergent mathematic
system or construct in a story that you can't read. Because you can't read
it, you can't apply your own mathematical understanding. (One of the areas
of my research is how to stifle people's cognitive elaboration; this forces
an accommodation rather than an assimilation, which in a lot of cases is
what you want).

And the nice thing about such an emergent system is that others can see it
as it emerges on its own. Others don't have to wade through any elaborated
explanation. Its delightfully visual (multimedia lets you color the sites
like points of light, and connect the dots based on theme (numerosity,
frequency, mass nouns, shapes, and so on). Cool, eh?

I don't suspect this is going to be an altogether popular approach in some
circles because it doesn't have any sites for making up stories. . . or what
some people kindly call, Theorizing. Powell did a lot of "theorizing"; look
where it got us!

Ideas?

mia