Usitative, etc.

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri May 19 14:18:20 UTC 2006

Hi, Rudy,

Where do I sound like Rousseau? I must admit to having only a passing
familiarity with Rousseau. However, I am not influenced by religion
(Rousseau was Calvinist, then Catholic, then Calvinist).

I don't associate nature with savage man. I do admit, like Rousseau, to
taking the minority position. When people look at me, they see a person who
they expect will support the majority opinion. When I speculate, often with
data, that the majority opinion is not necessarily the "true" opinion, it
makes people think in different ways. There is a particular psychological
conflict between that they biases tell them is "true" about me because of
how I look, and my words.

I also don't deal so much with the political. I don't characterize the world
in terms of the rich and powerful vs. everyone else. I see this as
particularly evident in the recent elections, where there was a huge
influence of the middle class . . . When I was in Florida, I happened to be
talking with a Cuban woman about a current election. She and her friends
were voting Republican because they associated themselves with the elite and
they saw Republicans as elite. So they were voting their perceived status
rather than their day-to-day reality.

GIS: Poor Dr. Mark. His is still stuck in the Enlightenment Grand Narrative.
Notice how he separates "indigenous" from the unmarked category. He even has
hypothesized that Spanish speakers might have difficulty with an English
interface because of linguistic differences.

To borrow from Fauconnier, who I am more like, but also Rousseau, I can say
that the issues of language and culture are a battle of compressions.
Language in human use tends to be reduced to human scale for ease of
communication, while in becoming part of common parlance, these compressions
represent the pressures of social expectation.

I spent 25 years of my life building computer systems for people all over
the world. I can tell you with an assurance based on strong differences in
the custom systems we used to build that registers vary not only between
organizations and institutions, but also between departments, and between
functional levels in those departments. Understandings and registers vary
with the organizational history that people have assimilated and
accommodated. And like Hebb and Freeman, I also see that the knowledge that
people gather and fashion for themselves is based on what they have
previously gathered and fashioned.

I am perpetually amazed at how much the Enlightenment Grande Narratives
still influence people's ways of looking at the world and evaluating what
might be possible. Mark hopes (and hopes and hopes to no avail) that
something will turn out to be "universal" so - like Chomsky, I might remark
- someone can develop a one-size software that fits all. I don't know if
this hope is laziness, greed, or disregard for humanity beyond all belief.

What I still hear reflected in such writings are the views of Morton,
Galton, Agassiz, and the measures and mis-measures of (hu)man.

Speaking of Agassiz, he was head of Eugenics at Harvard. This was the first
discipline for which America because highly regarded by European scholars. I
often hear people talking about how Hitler's philosophies and tactics. I
don't often hear the knowledge that Hitler learned from Harvard, from
Agassiz and his faculty. Eugenics - or ethnic cleansing - is an American
tradition. Is this Rousseauian? Believing that a discipline that
characterizes people as those who are deserving of a future and those who
are not is a classic and perpetual example of Human Savagery? Ironically,
the lake around which some of the earliest Athapascans lived has been named
for Louis Agassiz!

Mia