Usitative

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue May 23 23:19:22 UTC 2006

Hi, Phil,

Thanks. Hope both you and the trout are well.

I will check this out when I am home. I currently in Gallup.

What I'm actually doing is untangling the mathematics in the language, and a
ton is buried in the grammar. :-) Fairly complex ideas, too, repetition and
recursion, Bayesian statistics :-). I understand there is a ton in the
details in the Hoogan, also. I can hardly wait. :-)

I'll let you know when I have read the Hurford. I know we have the journal
in the NMSU library.

Best,
Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of phil cash cash
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 12:59 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Usitative

Mia,

You ought to take a look at:

James R. Hurford's article "The neural basis of predicate-argument
structure" in BEHAVIORAL AND BRAIN SCIENCES (2003) 26, 261–316

Quite an interesting read and it seems to fit well with some of ideas
you are considering with the grammar of Díne.  I get the impression
that Hurford is proposing a kind of "primitive mental representation,"
one independent of language, that makes a grammar happen.  Pretty cool
idea I think as I've been trying to find ideas or "stuff" like this to
come to an understanding of Nez Perce.

l8ter,

Phil (cayuse/nez perce)