Bill Bright Memorial Fund

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Thu Oct 19 21:30:24 UTC 2006

Bill Bright Memorial Award Created

We are saddened to report the passing of Bill Bright, a long-time
colleague and prolific scholar. Bill's family has requested that
memorial contributions be made to the Endangered Language Fund. We
have created a fund that will enable the creation of the Bill Bright
Award. This will help memorialize his many years of contributions to
linguistics, and of his service to the profession as editor of
Language, 1966-87, Language in Society, 1992-99, the first edition of
the International Encyclopedia of Linguistics, and founding editor of
Written Language and Literacy, 1998-2003. From among the annual
applications to the Endangered Language Fund’s grant program, one
successful project from those dealing with languages in the Americas
or in South Asia will be selected. This will be the project that best
combines Bill’s areal interests--North and Central America, South
Asia--with his topic interests:

- language description
- language and culture
- sociolinguistics
- writing systems
- creating culturally-acceptable orthographies for minority languages
- differences between written and oral language
- oral literatures and their poetics
- onomastics, toponyms and naming in general

The Bill Bright project will receive a separate press release and an
additional amount of money equal to 10% of the proposed budget. We
hope that this supplement will allow for additional efforts to
promote the work in the native speaker communities and with the
general public.

Please help us honor Bill's memory by sending a contribution to:

The Endangered Language Fund
300 George Street, Suite 900
New Haven, CT 06511

Please make a note that this is in honor of Bill so that the funds
can be ear-marked for this award.

Online donations can be made here:

https://www.networkforgood.org/donate/MakeDonation2.aspx?
ORGID2=061459207

Please put ''Bill Bright Fund'' in the Designation area.

-Nick Emlen