Marantz's New Audio Recorder/Burner (fwd link)

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sun Sep 3 07:35:51 UTC 2006

Transcribing from a digital file is so much easier than from a cassette!
You transcribe directly from the digital file on your computer, and can
use a foot pedal if you want.

If you use software for time-alignment (software such as Transcriber or
Elan) then you end up not only with a transcript, but with a transcript
that will allow you to search the text and hear the media at the same time
because the software inserts timecodes everytime you declare a chunk
(utterance unit or sentence or whatever).

I have been using time-aligned transcripts to work with my recordings and
can now access over 20 hours of recordings of narratives by searching the
transcript.

Nick