Marantz's New Audio Recorder/Burner

Rudy Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Sep 4 07:49:35 UTC 2006

Nick's experience makes the use of digitized files sound very attractive.
Presumably one does not have to invest hundreds of dollars in a Marantz,
however, but can simply re-record data from a tape to a CD and use that?

One other question I have: I have never seen any discussion of the quality
of the audio captured/preserved on a DVD vs various formats of videotape
(here I am thinking of digital video cameras vs older VHS cameras or VCRs).
On VHS, the video quality varies with the speed, but the audio quality
is laid down as a hi-fi track in any case and should not vary, so far as
I know. It is possible to record DVDs at varying speeds, and the video
quality varies (the six-hour rate I have found to be almost unwatchable)
with the speed, but I don't know anything about how audio quality is
determined, or how it is recorded along with the video signal. Perhaps
someone has some information on that, or could point us to a useful source.

   Thanks,

   Rudy Troike