Slang

Richard Zane Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Sat Sep 23 14:05:08 UTC 2006

Navajos(Diné) have some great slang
and we used them all the time while living in Ganado Az.

bologna was called:   gahmalii bi kwoos      (mormon neck)
also called      : biligana bi kwoos             (white persons neck)

white bread was "biligana bi bah" ( white peoples bread)
bailing wire was sometimes called  "a navajo bolt"
a section of rubber hose for siphoning  " navajo credit card"

all the parts of an automobile are named as animals parts
chidii bi ke' (cars foot)   chidi bi nanh  (cars eyes)  etc...

and an elephant was called  "the one who ropes his food"

there is a whole Diné sentence that sounds sort of like "Ganado Arizona"
which translated into english means "rabbit jumps up and rips his shirt"
Gahl náh oldnad bii ah íí zohns   (sorry for my bad Diné spelling!)

there is another kids used to say that sounds sort of like " i speak english"
but translated into english means "pee on the pigeon"
hasbita bii k'inliijh

I'd like to hear any i've missed!
Richard Zane Smith