email client software

Charles RIley charles.riley at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 29 22:49:49 UTC 2006

Hi Phil;

Personally, I've found Gmail to work the best out of the ones I've
tried so far;
Yahoo and Hotmail seem to be more limited in the kinds of encoding they'll
transmit & receive, although it might be possible to improve the
performance on
these by adjusting browser and/or locale settings manually.  Gmail picks the
encodings automatically, which in some cases might not be desirable, but for
most purposes delivers a better result.  For e-mailing in Unicode generally,
there are some methods of transfer encoding that software developers would
ideally be aware of (base64, quoted-printable, uu, 8BITMIME, etc.)

There's also a suite of tools developed by Richard Ishida at the W3C that I've
found to be really helpful when it comes to multilingual input, without having
to install a keyboard or change locale settings.  They're not perfect,
but it's
a nice model to follow:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/

Charles Riley