Mohawk language program launched (fwd)

Wayne Leman wayneleman at VFEMAIL.NET
Sat Aug 11 19:08:34 UTC 2007

I wish this Mohawk program, and others like it, the best success. But after
many years of observation, I have concluded that the "traditional"
(traditional according to federal schools "whiteman" education) teaching of
indigenous language colors and numbers does preserve a language
conversationally. Nor do computers, as much as I value the use of computers
for preserving language *data*, or providing some supplemental assistance
for children with indigenous language reinforcement.

It seems to me that the *only* way indigenous languages can be preserved as
living languages for communication between individuals, that is, as a medium
for conversation and other kinds of communication, is for social groups,
such as family and clan units, to begin using the indigenous language again.
Children need to be immersed in a rich environment where they are exposed to
language the way any baby or toddler learns language, by listening to it as
it is spoken and imitating it. Federal monies can help if they go toward
helping social units actually speak the language to children extensively.

I'm sorry if this comes across negatively. It pains me deeply to see our
indigeous languages dying. My father's indigenous language died in front of
eyes when I was a child. He married an Anglo lady, not a Native American, so
English was spoken in our home, but I heard him speak his language
extensively to his mother and siblings. And just from that I learning quite
a bit of the language.

Children will learn languages if they are exposed to them by their primary
caregivers, OR if they are taken out of their homes and put in boarding
schools where they are forced to speak a certain language. And we all know
the terrible things the boarding school language thing did to our Native
American and First Nations people.

I suggest that our First Nations people need to return to truly traditional
ways of language teaching, which take place in the home. It can be
supplemented in schools, but it is difficult for children to learn a
language to be able to communicate in it in school, unless it is total
immersion, such as in a boarding school environment. Perhaps it would work
today if we had truly total immersion schools where the First Nation
language is the only language used in school by everyone, even if parents
and grandchildren speak English or French to the children when they return
home.

We cannot depend on state, provincial, or federal governments to help us
preserve our languages. We have to do it for ourselves. If we need outside
money to help us do it ourselves, that's fine. But the actual teaching has
to be done by primary caregivers and it must be rich language, including
commands, questions, and everything else that we do with language. all done
*naturally*, as part of language as life is lived each day.

Painfully,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman