Tongan language now in curriculum (fwd)

Mon Aug 13 06:15:40 UTC 2007

Tongan language now in curriculum

Monday, 13 August 2007, 11:17 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0708/S00200.htm

Ko e Lea Faka-Tonga 'i he Silapa Nu'usila
Tongan language now in curriculum

The inclusion of the Tongan language in the New Zealand Education Curriculum
will help preserve and enhance the language for future generations,
Associate Minister of Pacific Island Affairs Luamanuvao Winnie Laban said
today.

Speaking today at the launch of the curriculum at the University of
Auckland, Laban said that while the 2006 Census showed there are around
50,000 people usually resident in New Zealand of Tongan ethnicity, there
are less than 30,000 speakers of Tongan in New Zealand.

"We want to see that number increase, and the number of all New Zealanders
able to speak a foreign language – particularly their native tongue –
increase," said Laban.

The addition of Tongan to the curriculum is supported by the Labour-led
government's 2006 budget announcement of a $4.5 million increase over four
years for teaching Pasifika languages.

"This is great news for our Pacific communities and something to be very
proud of.

"Losing a language is to lose diversity, culture and identity. Everyone
suffers. Today we celebrate an important milestone that will help ensure
Tongan will not be lost," said Laban.

One research estimate suggests that nearly half of the world's 7000
languages will be extinct by the end of the century. Laban said it was not
only important to preserve Tongan, but also important to preserve it in New
Zealand.

"New Zealand is a Pacific country. The Pacific is our home. Pacific culture
and language are increasingly important in the way New Zealanders see
themselves," said Laban.

The inclusion of Tongan in the curriculum follows the recent launch of a new
school curriculum for teaching Vagahau Niue, which joined the Samoan and
Cook Island Maori language curricula.

ENDS