New life for a fading language (fwd)

Tue Aug 21 17:44:49 UTC 2007

New life for a fading language

By Rebecca Aldous
the Chronicle
Aug 21 2007
http://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=18&cat=23&id=1048201&more=0

Lhxilush — stand up. This word, along is other commands, will be used as
stepping stone in the fight to save the Chemainus First Nation’s language.

Thirty-six teachers from the community have been busy this summer learning
directives in Hul’qumi’num’. Only 10 per cent of the band’s population
understands bits and pieces of the Coast Salish language. In 2000, it was
estimated the number of fluent Hul’qumi’num’ speakers was less than a
dozen.

“I hope one day we can teach the language right from baby stage up until
high school,” instructor and program organizer Pearl Harris says.

The two week course teaches teachers the “total physical response” to
instructing a language course. This teaching method centres around actions
and directions. It will be used in the band’s Nutsumaat Lelum Child Care
Centre, Stu’ate Lelum Secondary School and adult language courses.

“My dream is that when I am an elder my children around me will speak the
language,” Harris says.

Harris sees many obstacles in the path of her goal and is ready to climb
them. She believes barriers and conflict within the band need to be broken
down before they can forge ahead.

“The biggest battle I have is convincing everyone to come in and be a part
of it,” Harris says.

Buffi David, one of the instructor of the language course, understands
Hul’qumi’num’. Her parents only spoke their native tongue and couldn’t
speak English. David practices speaking Hul’qumi’num’ year round.

“We learn lots during the winter time because of long-house season,” David
says.

David believes the youth of her community need to become more involved with
the language. The school system’s decision to take it on is a good
beginning, she says. This September, David will be among a class of adults
learning Hul’qumi’num’. The course includes a 75-hour mentorship program
with an elder.

“We will learn to read, write and speak it,” David says.

The Coast Salish language was spoken around the Fraser River and Southern
end of Vancouver Island. The language is close to extinction largely due to
the forced relocation of First Nation children to residential schools.