Rosetta Stone

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Dec 31 18:21:45 UTC 2007

I have to agree with Bill on this, on all points.
While I know that many people have been working on these issues for entire
lifetimes, and that my 8 years or so is trifling in comparison, I have found
that in the creation of language learning technology, the difficulties are
compounded by issues of information "being snatched out of the air."
However, on a new dimension, these issues are appearing to be relatively
minor in comparison with the issue of preparing technical information in the
Indigenous language. In this regard, I have started an iPod project at the
College where all the information must be in Diné Bizaad. The struggles to
speak the technology are enormous. Discussions of how to talk about "iPod"
(just this one word) are ongoing, and no resolution has been reached.
Shortly after the Maori announced the availability of Windows and MS Office,
I spoke with the project director. She told me about the incredible effort
they engaged in developing the technical vocabulary. They needed about
675,000 words to define that interface. Although this seems like an enormous
number, this is - relatively speaking - a "small" interface. Imagine the
effort necessary to create a domain lexicon for Cognitive Psychology, or
Physics. How about Mathematics? Some (many) languages don't even seem to
have a memory - or perhaps a cognitive concept - of numericalization and
serialization. How do we go there? I once worked with an Elder, someone
reasonably fluent in 3 related Amerind languages, and who had been a math
teacher, who had difficulty counting to 100 in her first language.
Personally, I think Powell did the world a huge injustice when his
prescriptive document on words to be collected for Amerind languages did not
include any technical, mathematical, or scientific lexicons. His
anthropological focus on food, clothing, and puberty rites did both the
civilizations and us an enormous disservice from which we may never recover.
[I really think we should unname Lake Powell and rename it something like
Lake Whalen. :-)]
Bill talked about the speaker populations, but didn't mention that in
immersion learning - as when we are children in a cultural and linguistic
milieu - we hear the language being spoken around us. We see signs and
cultural symbols, so we learn by having the information soak into us, so to
speak. Multi-perceptual soaking is much faster, easier, and probably more
reliable than the results of the linear cognitive efforts necessary to
apprehend, relate and assimilate the typical text-based presentations used
in language classes even today, in a world rich and rife with multimedia.
I have a little vignette to share, one that in its many perspectives flashes
brightly on the different issues we cope with today, not only in
revitalization but also in education:
	One of my friends, who has a PhD in Linguistics, has a grandson in
1st grade. This child has been raised in a liberal, educated household with
two older brothers, both of whom have sophisticated interests, and both of
whom have found interests that allow them to be totally involved in spite of
a genetic dyslexia that challenges their reading and spelling.
	This small grandchild has been presented with gray-on-sort-of-white
"worksheets" - especially those things called "Fast Puppies" - in
kindergarten, and in the fall semester of first grade. The child does
between 3 and 6 of the 25 or so repetitive problems, and then stops. His
teachers are frustrated because they can't threaten or intimidate him into
finishing (word choice here - threaten or intimidate - is deliberate and
sadly, accurate).
	How many people think the child stops because he is incapable of
finishing? None. Good. The child stops because in 3-6 problems he has groked
the entire learning goal of the unattractive, non-interactive and
consequently non-responsive "worksheet." Put in common terminology, He stops
because he is bored. There is nothing there to attract or hold his interest,
and nothing to tell him why he might want to complete the 25 or so problems.

	I should probably now clue you in to the fact that the small child
is also a computer whiz, for his age, and helps his grandmother figure out
things.
I will end here, because there are many, many entailments in this last
statement.
Best to everyone,
Mia