Alutiiq speakers record CD to preserve dying language

Wayne Leman wayneleman at VFEMAIL.NET
Thu Feb 1 19:43:56 UTC 2007

My ancestors spoke Alutiiq. Unfortunately, we "lost" our language during
Russian colonialization. There was great pressure to change to Russian.
After many years of using Russian, my father, his siblings, and other
relatives largely stopped using Russian when I was young, during the 1950s.
Again, it was pressure from another colonial language, English, that brought
about that language change.

Fortunately, we have a few relatives in an isolated village between Kodiak
and Anchorage who still speak some Alutiiq.

Wayne Leman