conference happening...

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Wed Feb 7 19:37:16 UTC 2007

Oh indeed we are.  And it will be available by webcast the day following the
events.  When I know more on that I'll let you know, but there is a place
for it in the conference program.

Program at:  http://56conference.latam.ufl.edu/

MJ
Dr. MJ Hardman
website:  http://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/

56th Conference of the University of Florida Center for Latin American
Studies

Communications Technologies and the Impacts on Indigenous Languages and
Cultural Identity in the Americas

Dates:  February 14-16, 2007
Location:  University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida

The mission of this conference is to examine from multidisciplinary
perspectives how communications technologies have affected indigenous
language and cultural identity in the Americas, with a focus on cultural
continuity in a changing world.  Since the middle of the 20th Century,
indigenous communities throughout the Americas have gained considerable
demographic, political and cultural presence in their respective national
arenas.  From the Zapatista movements in Mexico, the civil war, peace
accords and Rigoberta Menchu’s Nobel Prize in Guatemala, to the toppling of
presidents in Ecuador and Bolivia and Evo Morales’s presidency, organized
indigenous communities have become cultural and political references to
understanding national and continental possibilities and problems.  Such
increasing invigoration of indigenous communities has depended, to a large
extent, on the conscious revitalization of their native languages, their
traditional cultures, and the skillful and widespread use of communications
technologies (from sound recordings and video taping to electronic mail and
the Internet).  This conference will focus on the impact and potential of
global technologies of communication on Indigenous languages, cultures and
identities in the Americas.  We hope that this approach will bring together
a variety of participants from diverse disciplines and cultures.

Elizabeth Lowe, Associate Director
Center for Latin American Studies
University of Florida
319 Grinter Hall