Hope for Weipa schools to use new Indigenous dictionary (fwd)

Sun Jul 1 18:12:23 UTC 2007

Thursday, 28 June 2007, 09:10:44  AEST
http://abc.net.au/message/news/stories/ms_news_1964216.htm

Hope for Weipa schools to use new Indigenous dictionary

For the first time the language of a western Cape York Aboriginal tribe, in
far north Queensland, has been published in a reference book.

Elder Thanakupi Gloria Fletcher made the dictionary that includes the
traditional stories, songs and art of the Thaynakwith people.

She is the only fluent speaker of the language left.

Dr Fletcher says she hopes schools in Weipa use the dictionary to pass on
traditional knowledge to the younger generation.

"I hope that it will happen, that somebody will carry it and carry it
through into the future. I hope that anybody that reads the book will
happily feel that they would like to read the language," she said.