Dakota

Nicholas Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Jul 10 15:41:41 UTC 2007

I've read about the phraselators for a little while now and I want to
ask about the format they record in. They sound like a great delivery
tool for learning, but once they are being used to create lots of
primary recordings then the community for whom these recordings are
being made should be aware that they are not as good quality as
proper recorders with good microphones.

It's a balance between the ease of use of units like the phraselator
and the longer term view of making the best possible recording now so
it will be available to language learners in future. Of course any
recording is better than none, but if we have a choice shouldn't we
be making as good a recording as we can?

All the best,

Nick Thieberger

--
Project Manager
PARADISEC

nicholas.thieberger at paradisec.org.au
Ph 61 (0)3 8344 5185

PARADISEC
Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures
http://paradisec.org.au