Humor Conference CFP

Bizzaro, Resa Crane CRANEM at ECU.EDU
Fri Jul 13 19:09:19 UTC 2007

Hi, everyone.  I'm working with a group of people who are putting together a Humor Conference for Nov. 1-3 on ECU's campus.  We're calling for proposals, so we can set up the programs.  Here is a copy of the call, along with an electronic version of the flyer.  Please share it with anyone you think may be interested.  Also, please consider sending a proposal yourself; I've been disappointed that there aren't any submissions on Native American humor.

Although the film contest says "regional filmmakers," anyone may participate.  The details can be found at the web site listed below.

Thanks.

Resa

ECU Hosts first ever HumorFest

The East Carolina Humor Festival and Conference needs scholars, filmmakers and jokesters before Sept. 1.

The HumorFest will take place Nov. 1-3. The three-day inaugural event will feature joke contests and stand-up and improv comedy, a film festival, and an academic conference on humor. Featured presenters include North Carolina native and author Jill McCorkle, Texas songwriter and author Kinky Friedman, and poet and NPR commentator Andrei Codrescu.

"Humor as an art form rarely attracts the serious attention it deserves," said Tom Douglass, an ECU professor of English. "The East Carolina HumorFest intends to correct this omission and provide performers, scholars, and students an opportunity to enjoy humor in all of its forms."

HumorFest participants will also have an opportunity to record their laugh in the new National Registry of Laughter.

"The registry will be a human record of vocal joy," Douglass said. "The best presence we have in the world is a good laugh. You know you're present when you're laughing."

* The academic conference will include panels on humor and healing, Southern humor, ethnic humor, satire and social change, humor in film, and political cartoons.

* The Reel Funny Short-Film Fest will feature work from regional filmmakers.

* The Joke Contest seeks out the funniest jokes about North Carolina and the South. Knock-knocks, riddles, puns, tall tales, spoonerisms and whatnots of no more than 150 words are welcome to win a cash prize. The winner and finalists will be considered for publication by the North Carolina Literary Review.

The deadline for abstract submissions, jokes and film entries is Sept. 1. Please direct inquiries and abstracts to ECUHUMORFEST at ecu.edu. Visit the ECU HumorFest web site: http://www.ecu.edu/humor/ <https://piratemail.ecu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.ecu.edu/humor/>  for a complete list of events, surprises, and for details on the film contest.

The HumorFest is co-sponsored by the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences, the ECU English Department and the Office of Co-Curricular Programs and Cultural Outreach.

                                                ###

Contact: Tom Douglass, douglasst at ecu.edu, ecuhumorfest at ecu.edu or (252) 328-6723.