H4

Eric Poncet [NunaSoft] tmp at NUNASOFT.COM
Fri Jul 20 19:03:45 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I bought one Zoom H4 recently, after a careful study of what was on the
market. I need it for upcoming fieldwork in Central Yukon. So far I've
done a bunch of tests, and they all pass!
It cost me $379 (CAN$). This device has all the features I was dreaming
of (and I'm quite a dreamer when it comes to technology and languages...).
As the guy has XLR plugs and Phantom Power, I'll use it with an AKG
C451B (very good pencil mike) and/or an Audio-Technica AT897 (great
shotgun mike).
I'll record everything in WAV (uncompressed) on a 2GB SD card (it's the
max size managed by the H4). Having an SD slot on my laptop, I'll be
able to burn those raw recordings on an audio CD in a snap, freeing up
space on the SD card AND archiving the data in a standard format
playable by any CD player around.
This will hopefully give great recordings of Elders' speeches,
performances, songs, nature sounds, allowing for lots of linguistic work
on all this cultural material.

FYI, it manages MP3 pretty well also, with several bitrates available
(including VBR=Variable Bit Rate).

There's one remaining question, though: I have no clue, so far, about
the robustness of the device. (Yukon) Time will tell...

A huge "Thank You" to Phil and all participants for their outstanding
job on ILAT!!!

Cheers from Montreal,
Eric
http://www.nunasoft.com