ipod recording

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sat Jul 21 14:05:05 UTC 2007

Does this work????

On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:42 PM, annie ross wrote:

hi friends

i was just in the field and used an ipod to record interviews (sound
only).

i purchased a microphone for the ipod from ebay.  the microphone is
called
'bilkin tune talk stereo" and cost 70.00 US $.

from there, i downloaded the files.  actually,	itunes (on the mac)
automatically downloaded it to the computer as a voice memo.
then it converted itself to an mp3 file.

it was so quick and amazing...

i don't know if this is archival enough for anyone but it worked for me.

annie

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:03:45 -0400 ILAT wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought one Zoom H4 recently, after a careful study of what was on
> the
> market. I need it for upcoming fieldwork in Central Yukon. So far I've
> done a bunch of tests, and they all pass!
> It cost me $379 (CAN$). This device has all the features I was
> dreaming
> of (and I'm quite a dreamer when it comes to technology and
> languages...).
> As the guy has XLR plugs and Phantom Power, I'll use it with an AKG
> C451B (very good pencil mike) and/or an Audio-Technica AT897 (great
> shotgun mike).
> I'll record everything in WAV (uncompressed) on a 2GB SD card (it's
> the
> max size managed by the H4). Having an SD slot on my laptop, I'll be
> able to burn those raw recordings on an audio CD in a snap, freeing up
> space on the SD card AND archiving the data in a standard format
> playable by any CD player around.
> This will hopefully give great recordings of Elders' speeches,
> performances, songs, nature sounds, allowing for lots of linguistic
> work
> on all this cultural material.
>
> FYI, it manages MP3 pretty well also, with several bitrates available
> (including VBR=Variable Bit Rate).
>
> There's one remaining question, though: I have no clue, so far, about
> the robustness of the device. (Yukon) Time will tell...
>
> A huge "Thank You" to Phil and all participants for their outstanding
> job on ILAT!!!
>
> Cheers from Montreal,
> Eric
> http://www.nunasoft.com
>
> phil cash cash a écrit :
>> This interesting product came out earlier this year, so take a peek:
>>
>> Samson H2 - Handy Recorder
>> http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916
>>
>> If you haven't already checked out their H4 just follow the links
>> on the
>> above page.  I would suggest looking at some H4 reviews via Google,
>> however.
>>
>> Anyway, just some more new ultra-portable gadgetry for the
>> language-oriented
>> masses.   If you have one, let us know how you what you do with it
>> and
so
>> on...
>>
>> Phil

annie g. ross
First Nations Studies
School for the Contemporary Arts
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia
V5A 1S6
annier at sfu.ca
Telephone:  604-291-3575  Facsimile:  604-291-5666