Another Cree kindergarten coming to Saskatoon (fwd)

Thu Jun 21 21:51:57 UTC 2007

Another Cree kindergarten coming to Saskatoon

Last Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 | 5:19 PM CT
CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/06/20/cree-immersion.html

There's a trend toward more Cree immersion classes in Saskatchewan's
schools.

In recent years, public school systems in Saskatoon and Regina have launched
such programs and soon the Saskatoon Catholic School Board will introduce
its own.

The nêhiyawak Cree immersion kindergarten is scheduled to begin this
September at St. Frances School.

The goal is to help children pick up a language that some of their family
members might already speak and to learn about First Nations culture.

Language retention, First Nations culture and identity are foundations for
healthy, happy students, according to Chief Joe Quewezance of the Saskatoon
Tribal Council, one the aboriginal groups working on the program.

"We hope that this will in turn result in higher academic achievement and
the preparation of First Nations youth to make a significant impact and
contribution to the province," Quewezance said in a news release.
Continue Article

Speaking at the St. Frances School Wednesday, Shirley Isbister, president of
the Central Urban Métis Federation, said she wished there had been Cree
immersion when she was a little girl.

"If there was a Cree immersion program, I would have the language," she
said. "That's why I'm so thrilled it's coming to St. Frances school and all
of the creative ways of educating our aboriginal children."

Belinda Daniels-Fiss, who's co-ordinating the immersion program, said the
key to success is having the children begin when they're young and their
ability to learn a new language is at its peak.

"Their brains are like sponges," she said. "I have a seven-year-old who
started on a language learning journey with me, and [for him it's] way
easier to pick up the words, to pick up the pronunciation."