Native language money not enough (fwd)

Tue Jun 26 16:23:41 UTC 2007

Native language money not enough

By Darrell Bellaart
The News Bulletin

Jun 26 2007
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=51&cat=23&id=1013241&more=0

A provincial funding boost to help preserve fading aboriginal languages is a
step in the right direction.

But natives say they want reliable, sustainable funding to keep alive
languages like Hul’q’umin’um, the traditional tongue of Snuneymuxw,
Nanoose, Cowichan and other Island Coast Salish people.

Aboriginal Relations Minister Mike de Jong announced $1.2 million in funding
to help preserve some 30 or more First Nation languages around B.C.

“It sounds like a lot of money but it isn’t really,” said Geraldine Manson,
Snuneymuxw First Nation culture and language coordinator.

“What we keep voicing to government, the money has to be year round – we’ve
got $25,000 or $50,000 to do a project and need to have a deliverable at
the end. This is not guaranteeing that. Where is the money going to come
from to continue?”

The funding is in addition to $1 million announced for that purpose last
year, for language and culture camps, master apprentice programs between
elders and students, preschool language and culture immersion programs and
funding to community language and culture authorities.

The Snuneymuxw have had some successes in the past, including camps where
younger people can learn the language, and the creation of a 1,000-word
Hul’q’umin’um’ dictionary.

“But after that camp finishes, those members go home and they don’t get it,”
Manson said. “It needs to be implemented in the school system right from
preschool right up to university. We need something in every part of the
curriculum.”

That takes uninterrupted funding. But right now First Nations have to apply
for limited funding, which ends once the program runs its course.

“It’s great the provincial government has come up with funding but it’s
funding we need year round, where we don’t have to submit applications,”
Manson said.

Until recently, the elders forbid putting the Hul’q’umin’um’ language in
writing, but that’s changed, with the ever-shrinking base of members
knowledgeable in the language.

newsbeat at nanaimobulletin.com

Editorial / 18

What do you think? Give us your comments by fax at 753-0788 or by e-mail:
editor at nanaimobulletin.com. Be sure to spell out your first and last names.