Preserving Kanien'kehà:ka Culture and Language

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Wed Mar 14 03:36:03 UTC 2007

Saw this in a mailing just received and thought it might be of interest.
(BTW, it appears that the stars have realigned and there is no longer an
argument between my e-address and the Arizona.edu listserve blocking my
posts. Likely has to do with my host changing servers after an umpteenth
attack.)  Don

The Drum Beat newsletter, Issue 386 "Knowledge - Part I: Cultivating Local
Content" March 12 2007
Preserving Kanien'kehà:ka Culture and Language Through Community-Based
Education and Video
by Elizabeth J. Saccà & Katsi'tsákwas Ellen Gabriel

was understood to be mass media's stereotyped portrayal of aboriginal
people, several artists in a rural indigenous community northwest of
Montreal, Canada decided to explore video as a tool for making personal and
traditional stories of members of Kanien'kehà:ka: People of the Flint
(Mohawks) accessible to the community and to others. Kanehsatà:ke and
non-aboriginal women formed a community-based video project, joining their
efforts with fellow community members. The authors describe the Kanien'keha
language videos that emerged, and explore their role in preserving
Kanien'kehà:ka culture and language.
http://www.comminit.com/evaluations/eval2006/evaluations-331.html