Bly seeks state office of indigenous language

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Wed Mar 14 03:37:21 UTC 2007

I am not sure if I am double posting here or what....

That is really quite a good idea. I recall when I was teaching in an isolated fly in community and all the reading material was so totally foreign, Heidi The Little Swiss Girl, and nothing else much better, I had the children, they all spoke and wrote anishnabehmowin in both phonetic and syllabic form. We wrote our own text books and ran them off on one of those old gum rubber indelible ink copiers, many of you may not even know what I am talking about. But, we did our own books complete with poetry and stories relative to the community, surrounding familiar communities and their world and cosmology.

Unfortunately, the catholic priest who did not like my methodologies came in when I was away and burned everything.

We also did all our own art work. I did manage to salvage a few of the poems, about 6 or 7. I will attach some of them here for your perusal. Of course this was in 1967...a millennium ago :)

Here are three of them in English only. I no longer have the original language, anishnabehmo - ojibway, which was their first language.

Don't want to be too pushy so I will only say this much.
-------
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: annie ross
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [ILAT] Bly seeks state office of indigenous language

  regarding use of images:

  this may seem a silly remark on my part....but here goes.

  why not ask people in your language classes, their family members, and
  artist friends to make original art for your language classes? and remember,
  everyone is an artist.

  that way, all the images and words will be created by the people themselves,
  and it may help spread the work of language learning/retention further into
  the community.

  thank you everyone for your always awesome work

  annie