Natasha L Warner nwarner at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 28 21:06:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

I don't know the quote, although I'd be very interested in hearing about
it if you turn it up.  As someone who works on revitalization of a dormant
language, I can't refrain from commenting:  who gets the right to decide
this (what the criteria for some status are) for someone else?  And why?

Thanks,

Natasha Warner

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Andre Cramblit wrote:

> I once heard a quote that went something like this....
> " If you do not speak your language you are no longer a member of
> your tribe but a descendant of Tribal members."
>
> Does anyone know the origin of this quote, or the accurate phrase???

Natasha Warner
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
University of Arizona
PO Box 210028
Tucson, AZ 85721-0028