phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu Mar 29 00:21:53 UTC 2007

Andre, these might match your quote.

Eli Taylor, Sioux Nation...

"Without language we will cease to be a people."

Assembly of First Nations. (1993). Declaration on Aboriginal Languages.
Pamphlet.

Robert Bunge, Lakota Sioux...

"A people who lose their language and the view of the universe
expressed by that language, can no longer survive as a people, although
they can survive as rootless individuals" (1989:19).

Bunge, R. (1989). Language: the psyche of a people. In Our Languages,
Our Survival, p. 13-20. University of South Dakota.

Also, to echo Jordan's statement, I have been told this sentiment
directly by some well-respected elders in my community, "The Cayuse
lost their language and so they are no longer Cayuse."  It is certainly
true that the Cayuse lost their language due to a 19th century language
shift to Nez Perce, a neighboring language (a hundred years before
today's contemporary language shift to English!).  However, their
adoption of the Nez Perce language remains a mystery and is probably
due to a number of interrelated factors (disease coupled with
population decline, the horse, intermarriage, secrecy, etc).

Nevertheless, the statement is/was by no means uncommon since the
fluent speakers who often issue such statements are also responsible
for strongly advocating against pan-Indian beliefs and
acculturation/assimilation.  So in this sense, the identity=language
link, when used in this manner, tends to act as a resistive barrier to
these forces.  This is especially so given that these same elders also
survived the abusive boarding school system despite the odds against
them.

When I was told this, I was taken aback as they were certainly harsh
words.  But I persisted in my learning with these same elders.  Days
later, they indicated to me (teasing/laughing), "a weaker person would
have stormed off and never returned, but here you are!"

A moment of recognition in this bigger struggle we all share I suppose.
  ;-)

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA