Richard Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Thu Mar 29 03:35:09 UTC 2007

Kweh ömaterü
(greetings friends)

I understand and identify with these elders who will
often make strong statements as these at times.
But it should be heard not as criticism
as much as a painful lament.
These elders often feel disconnected not only with the outside
world but even with many of their own tribal youth today.
They think so differently, and have such different interests.
I'm also involved in reviving the Wyandot language left in a coma
And I feel deep urgency ...but this isn't often shared
By those of our own who are losing it and drifting far from center.
So there is a time to lament...a sadness to express...to vent...
Language,ceremonies and the stories are the fibers that hold us unique
And keep us from drifting into a generic ndnism
Often seen now in the pow-wow circuits.

Richard
Wyandotte Oklahoma