Greg Dickson greg.dickson at KATHLANGCENTRE.ORG.AU
Thu Mar 29 22:53:46 UTC 2007

Note that if you apply the sentiment to a dominant language/culture, it
becomes highly offensive to most of us... e.g. you have to speak
English to be Australian... only the most rightwing people could
tolerate this sentiment.

Greg Dickson
Linguist
Ngukurr Language Centre
CMB 6
via Katherine  NT  0852
Ph/Fax: 08 8975 4362
Email: greg.dickson at kathlangcentre.org.au
On 29/03/2007, at 6:26 PM, Rudy Troike wrote:

I've read similar sentiments from a Puerto Rican and someone from
Africa,
but in the form of a question. "Can one not know Spanish and still be a
Puerto Rican?" The African was speaking of some distinct tribal
language,
and said "Can one not speak [language X] and still be a [member of a
tribe]?"
I was struck at the time by the parallelism of the sentiment.

   Rudy Troike