Native elders share cultural wisdom, history (fwd)

Sun May 13 17:57:03 UTC 2007

Native elders share cultural wisdom, history

Kerry Benjoe
Saskatchewan News Network
Saturday, May 12, 2007
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/weekend_extra/story.html?id=0a7bd463-f311-4bbe-a500-2a4909217ff8

Kahkewistahaw First Nation, looking at new ways to preserve its history,
recently launched a book, Kahkawistahaw Elders Nitohtamwak, that contains
life stories and words of wisdom from the community leaders.

Nitohtamwak is the Cree word for listen and that's exactly what Chief Louis
Taypotat hopes people will do. He said as a leader he's recognized some
needs in his community. He hopes the book will not only preserve the
elders' knowledge but will also help young people connect to their past.

"It's about history. A lot of our elders are getting older and they know a
lot about history . . . That needs to be recognized," said Taypotat, who
noted the community has already lost many of its elders and with each
passing they take with them their valuable knowledge.

Mervin Bob, 77, was one of the elders profiled and he welcomed the
opportunity to share his knowledge. He recognizes with each passing
generation, more of the culture he grew up with is dying.

"We're losing our language and our culture," said Bob, who understands the
role language plays in preserving culture being that he's fluent in Cree,
Saulteaux and English. "I am the last elder here who does ceremonies."
Knowing several dialects has served Bob well as an elder, because he's able
to conduct ceremonies in both languages.

The grandfather said children need to be reintroduced to the languages
before the languages are lost completely. Bob is doing what he is able with
his own grandchildren, but would welcome the chance to teach others.

Faith Bob, 60, was surprised to be asked to be part of the book because she
doesn't see herself as an elder. She readily agreed to be part of the
project because of what the book will stand for and that is a collection of
knowledge and history.

"I thought, 'What a good idea.' This should have been done years ago,
because many of our elders are gone now," said Faith.

She glanced around the centre and said there are so few elders left, but
acknowledged that a loss of elders is occurring in every First Nation
community across Saskatchewan.

Although she is still adjusting to her new role as an elder she sees the
value in passing down information to the young people of today and
tomorrow.

"Many of our young people don't know who they are related to or where they
come from," said Faith, adding it's important to know that because it
creates a sense of identity and belonging.

She believes that this type of project should be done for every community.

Ted Whitecalf was in charge of gathering information for the book, which is
his sixth book project. Whitecalf is from the Sweetgrass First Nation near
North Battleford and is the founder of Sweetgrass Records.

Being raised in a traditional household he had the opportunity to learn the
Cree language and sees the value of preserving it. Nitohtamwak, he said, is
"a way for us to preserve our history, our culture, and our values."

(Leader-Post)
© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007