Simultaneous Interpretation: Impact of Maori Voice (fwd)

Wed May 16 17:42:37 UTC 2007

Simultaneous Interpretation: Impact of Maori Voice

Wednesday, 16 May 2007, 3:29 pm
Press Release: The Maori Party

Simultaneous Interpretation Service Demonstrates the Impact of an
Independent Maori Voice in Parliament

Te Ururoa Flavell, Maori Party

Wednesday 16th May 2007
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0705/S00388.htm

“Let Maori language flourish in all its beauty, values and meanings because
it is the language that holds the key to the culture” said Te Ururoa
Flavell today, delighted at today’s announcement that the simultaneous
Maori-to-English interpretation is to be trialled.

“Our whakatauaki, pepeha, korero tawhiti – the cultural assets and capital
of tangata whenua – are the essential heart of Maoritanga” said Mr Flavell.

“Their wisdom and truths guide us in understanding the issues that come
before Parliament – and are as applicable to the debating chamber as they
are to any context in Aotearoa and the greater world”.

The trial of Simultaneous Interpretation has been recognised as a
significant achievement of the Maori Party, the independent Maori voice of
Parliament.

At the very first meeting of the Parliament Business Committee on 15
November 2005, the Maori Party presented a case to ask the Speaker of the
House to undertake a feasibility study for the installation of a
simultaneous English-Maori translation service within the debating chamber.

“We are so proud that our call for a Simultaneous Translation Service to
assist all Members of Parliament in understanding the language has been
recognised in the 2007 Budget” said Mr Flavell. “The case we put to
Business Committee, and subsequently Parliament’s Standing Orders
Committee, has finally been successful – it is a great day for te reo
Maori!”

“The Standing Orders of the House specify that a member may address the
Speaker in Maori or English” said Mr Flavell. “We have constantly used te
reo Maori in our contributions in the House, demonstrating our commitment
to the revitalisation of te reo Maori as an official language of New
Zealand”.

“The announcement today acknowledges that the House accords te reo the
respect it deserves” said Mr Flavell. “This is a very significant day for
Aotearoa – a day when our House of Representatives has pledged its
commitment to promote Māori language as a living language and as a
normal means of communication”.

“We know that Aotearoa will be greatly advanced by the normalizing of
Māori language as a living language” said Mr Flavell. “We thank the
Minister of Finance and the Speaker, for their support in expanding the use
of te reo rangatira into the proceedings of Parliament”.

Background Information

In 1987, the Maori Language Act declared te reo Mäori an official language
of New Zealand. There are now some 136,000 speakers of te reo. In the 2006
Census, 23.7% of Maori stated that they could hold a conversation in Maori
about everyday things.

On 24 February 2000 a simultaneous English-Maori translation service was
installed in the Maori Affairs select committee room so that direct English
translations of Members of Parliament or visitors speaking in te reo can be
made. MPs are given an earpiece to plug in when the service was required.
At the time of its introduction then Deputy Clerk of the House, Ailsa Salt,
said that if the service was a success it could be introduced into the
House.

An interpreter has been a full-time fixture in the House since 1999 after
Maori Members of Parliament expressed concerns during the 1996-1999
Parliament about the barriers to speaking Maori in the House.

Many parliaments around the world, including legislatures in countries like
Ireland, Switzerland, Canada and India have adopted policies permitting the
use of more than one language in legislative debate.

The Canadian Parliament, under their Official Languages Act, provides
members with the right to speak in English or in French, and all
proceedings are simultaneously translated - that is all remarks made in
English are simultaneously translated and broadcast in French, and all
remarks made in French are simultaneously translated and broadcast in
English.

ENDS