Camcorder Question Revisited....

Mon Nov 5 00:30:30 UTC 2007

Heather, just as quick note on audio.
A common phrase in the video-makers how-to says that audio is half of your
production.  Or, to put it another way, capturing good audio is essential to
any basic documentation project.
For many digitial video cameras out in the market these days, most all come
with a mounted internal mic but these tend to be of generic quality and it use
limits the control you may wish to have over creating good audio.  It is
better to take advantage of the mic plug-in where a quality mic can be plugged
in directly to your camera.
On the low consumer end of the spectrum, video cameras usually use a
"mini-plug" input.  Pro and semi-pro cameras use an XLR mic plug.  Cameras
with XLR mic inputs allow the use of higher quality microphones and wireless
mic systems.  An addition option is recording on a separate digital recording
device, such as DAT recorder.  This gives you even greater control over the
quality of the audio being recorded.  The audio can be later stitched back
together with footage in the post production process.  I have not tried it
myself so I can't say how easy or difficult this is.
You will also want to monitor your audio during filming.  This helps to block
out external noise and as well as allow you to concentrate on the audio input
that is being picked up by your microphones.   And as I have discovered
myself, it will also give an additional perceptual avenue to consider as you
film subjects.
My own experience in all of this is a "one-man camera crew" set up so
there are
additional options if and when more people assist  in the film making process
(i.e. having a "sound recorded").
l8ter,
Phil Cash Cash
UofA