Government of Canada Supports The Métis Nation of Alberta (fwd)

Tue Nov 6 17:40:34 UTC 2007

Government of Canada Supports The Métis Nation of Alberta
http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=358769&categoryid=16

EDMONTON, November 5, 2007 - On behalf of the Honourable Josée Verner,
Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages,
Laurie Hawn, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence
and Member of Parliament (Edmonton Centre), today announced funding for the
Métis Nation of Alberta Association.

Funding of $315,000 will go toward activities that preserve and promote
Métis language, culture, and heritage. It will fund a three-year project
that includes the publication of a book called Michif in Alberta, the
organization of linguistic immersion camps, and support for a provincial
conference about the Michif language.

"The Métis people have a rich cultural heritage," said Minister Verner. "We
are proud to support this organization to ensure that they continue to have
a voice in Alberta and in Canada."

"Our Government is committed to enabling Aboriginal people to fully
participate in the social, political, economic, and cultural life of the
country," said Mr. Hawn. "We are pleased to support the Métis Nation of
Alberta."

"Unfortunately, as many of our Elders pass away without sharing their
language with the next generation, a part of our history is slipping
away,"' said Audrey Poitras, President of the Métis Nation of Alberta
Association. "It is up to us to protect this important part of our
heritage, and this funding from Canadian Heritage will assist us in doing
exactly that."

The Government of Canada has provided this funding through the Aboriginal
Peoples Program of the Department of Canadian Heritage, which supports the
full participation and cultural revitalization of Aboriginal people in
Canadian society. It enables Aboriginal peoples to address the social,
cultural, economic, and political issues affecting their lives.
Information:

Richard Walker
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage,
Status of Women and
Official Languages
819 997-7788

Oula Sanduga