SIUC Linguistic Anthropology

awebster@siu.edu awebster at SIU.EDU
Tue Nov 13 16:47:17 UTC 2007

This seems as good a time as any to pass along the following:

Linguistic Anthropology at Southern Illinois University at
Carbondale

The Department of Anthropology at SIUC
(_http://www.siu.edu/~anthro/_ <http://www.siu.edu/%7Eanthro/>)
is building its graduate program in Linguistic Anthropology and
invites interested students to apply. SIUC has a vibrant four-
field department, where students receive training in
all major sub-disciplines. Linguistic anthropology students are
trained in current linguistic and sociocultural theory as well
as current methods of linguistic description and analysis. Our
approach to language is ethnographic and eclectic, stressing
the need to master basic analytic skills in order to address
anthropological problems.

Our faculty include Janet Fuller, whose research currently
focuses on the social roles of language in bilingual
communities
(_http://www.siuc.edu/%7Eanthro/fuller/index.html_); C. Andrew
Hofling, whose interests include Mayan linguistic history and
language documentation
(_http://www.siuc.edu/%7Eanthro/hofling/index.html_); and
Anthony Webster, whose research focuses on Native American
verbal art
(_http://www.siuc.edu/%7Eanthro/webster/index.html_)

Some major themes of special interest to the faculty include:

    !           Discourse approaches to language and culture
    !           Native American languages and their
documentation
    !                 Orality, literacy and cognition
    !                 Discourse genres and verbal art
    !                 Linguistic practices and power
relationships
    !                 Language and identity
    !                 Linguistic and cultural history
    !                 Language in its social and cultural
contexts and functions
    !                 Bilingualism and language shift

The Department has a Linguistic Anthropology Lab with equipment
for analog and digital audio and video recording and analysis.
Interested students and others are encouraged to visit our web
page where information on the program and application materials
are available:
_http://www.siu.edu/~anthro/

Anthony K. Webster, Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology