Keres Pre-School Request for Funding

Jodi Burshia jodi.burshia at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 23 13:56:41 UTC 2007

please post. thank you.
-----

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances,

Please do not skip this message or delete it. We need
your help. As many of you know, we are trying to open a
school that will serve 3-6 year old children from the
communities of Santo Domingo Pueblo and Cochiti Pueblo.
(Please see the following link
http://www.gameforcharity.com/iklc/iklc_home.aspx

The mission of the Iiwasi Katrutsini Learning Center is to
create a linguistically and culturally rich learning
environment that supports the fundamental principles and
values of native life that are essential in the
socialization of Cochiti and Kewa Pueblo children. The
Center will provide a quality preschool program for
children, ages 3-6 years of age, through teaching methods
that encompass both Native language immersion and holistic
approaches to learning and are supported through the
Montessori Method. The Learning Center is committed to
providing a learning environment in which children hear
their tribal heritage language spoken throughout all
Center activities, learn through culturally appropriate
ways which reflect traditional cultural practices, as well
as being prepared for future schooling.

We have been working on the school for the last year and a
half and our biggest challenge is finding money. Grants
have been applied for, but the process is slow. Our
ultimate goal is to endow the school and we cannot endow
the school with grant money. Although we are still in the
process of applying for grant money, we also feel that is
necessary to fund raise. It will cost almost $300,000 to
open the school which include start up expenses and first
year operating expenses. We will not be taking state or
federal funding because that will put the school back
under NCLB (No Child Left Behind).

We have a wonderful opportunity to raise money with a
company called Games for Charity. (We have received the
blessings from both tribal governments of Cochiti Pueblo
and Santo Domingo Pueblo to go through with this
fundraiser.) Basically, the money will be raised online.
We are asking people to donate $25 or more to an on line
tournament that will directly benefit IKLC. At the end of
the tournament, IKLC will be the receiving charity.
Please go to the following link to learn more, and if you
are able to help out, please submit your email address and
more information will be forthcoming. The link is
http://www.gameforcharity.com/iklc/iklc_home.aspx
We also ask that you forward this email or the link to as
many people as you know or who you think might interested
in helping out.
Thank you so much for your help and cooperation.
Sincerely,
Trisha L. Moquino & Olivia Coriz, Co-Founders, Iiwas
Katrutsini Learning Center