Native conference opens in Fairbanks (fwd)

Wed Oct 24 18:11:32 UTC 2007

Native conference opens in Fairbanks

by Steve Mac Donald
Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2007
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=7256596

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- The Alaska Federation of Natives Conference kicked off
Tuesday in Fairbanks with the annual Elders and Youth Conference.

Georgianna Lincoln, the keynote speaker to the Youth and Elders Conference,
says Alaksa's Native people should be proud of their culture.

"My Athabascan lessons are coming along great.  Native language is a part of
my culture."

Lincoln opened the conference, titled "Living Cultures of the North:
Respecting Alaska Native People."

Youth ruled the day at the conference. Kia Hochee, a fifth-grader from
Minto, explained what she wants to do to keep her culture alive.

"We don't want the native language to die-off like the dinosaurs," Hochee
said. "I can help by learning it and passing it on to my children, and my
children's children."

The annual AFN conference runs through Saturday.

Contact Steve Mac Donald at stevem at ktuu.com