Learning The Lakota Language (fwd)

Mon Oct 29 18:01:56 UTC 2007

Learning The Lakota Language

Video
10/28/2007
http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail6371.cfm?Id=0,62499
Sioux Falls, SD

Less than 70% of Native American students who attend South Dakota public
schools, graduate from high school. But the Sioux Falls School District is
working to turn those numbers around by introducing the Native American
culture and language into the classroom.

High school students in the Sioux Falls School District can take world
languages like Spanish or German, but a new dialect is also making it's way
into the classroom.

Native American students at Washington High school are enrolled in the
districts new Lakota Language class. Here they're learning much more than
vowels and consonants.

"What it really provides for them is appreciation of who they are and where
they come from," Lakota Language Teacher Jim Thunder Hawk.

Thunder Hawk says the students are showing a great sense of respect for the
language that's the backbone of where they come from.

"I'm excited that they did this, Sophomore Korrie Thomas said.

Thomas says she signed up for the class to learn more about her people and
herself.

"Most native kids that I know hardly know any Lakota unless they're in the
class, and I'm pretty sure if they get signed up for next semester, they'll
start learning and they'll start wanting to come back to learn some more,"
Thomas said.

With low graduation rates among native american students, the district hopes
this class will get them excited about furthering their education. Thunder
Hawk says it's a lesson not only native american students can learn from,
but all students.

"It's important for the cultures of South Dakota to get to know their
neighbors who've been here before statehood is the Lakota people," Thunder
Hawk said.

The class is open to every student in the district. It is part of a 5 year
pilot program and will be offered again next year.

Kelli Grant
© 2007 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.