Native linguists

David Lewis David.Lewis at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Tue Oct 30 16:10:21 UTC 2007

Also, please think about native linguists of the past that made
significant contributions. I will be adding such people as John Hudson
Jr. and William Hartless from Grand Ronde. But I know that many tribes
have had culture bearers that have served to link the generations
through language.

David G. Lewis
Manager, Cultural Resources Department
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde
Office 503.879.1634
David.Lewis at grandronde.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:30 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Native linguists

I feel that the current structure of the native linguist lists ignores
the incredible contribution of natives without advanced degrees. In
native society, within the Native worldview these are for many the true
linguists and those who carry power within their society. I understand
the concept of the list but if this is about native people how is it
possible to ignore the native worldview. If this list will not create
that parallel with the higher degree holders, then I will create that
list.

Please send me your lists of native people who are linguists within
their communities, they do not have to hold a degree from a university
but must be working with the linguistic field, and considered a leader.
Please also send me more information about them, what languages the work
on and where they work, what tribe they are a member of, etc.
Thank you,

David.Lewis at grandronde.org