legacy materials

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Oct 31 14:12:06 UTC 2007

Hi, People,

The unavailability of funding for revitalization is easily observable, but I
think Natasha was overly kind in her assessment of the reasoning.

Historically, there has been a movement in the US to eradicate American
languages, replacing them with the Lingua Franca. I think that the funding
categories support this bias. I think that by documenting languages, we make
them available for scholars, thus increasing the total knowledge available
for non-Indigenous people. We also snap-shot them as anthropological
artifacts, ensuring that they do not change as they would if they were
alive. So the funding sources are doing their job of increasing knowledge,
and also following their social and anthropological mandates for
assimilation.

It is impossible for me to believe that funding sources could be so cruel in
their allocations, depriving human beings of their last opportunity to save
and re-establish vestiges of their linguistic, social and cultural identity
unless the mid-19th century Eureka! that "White Man is G_d's supreme
creation" were not alive and well and living in the hearts of many.

Mia

  _____