Info for Revitalizationists

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Oct 31 15:50:25 UTC 2007

Hi, Folks,

This article came in today, serendipity being what it is. It strongly
implies that if we want to be successful in our efforts to save and teach
languages, we need to have the sound occurring simultaneously with the
graphical information. I use both images and text, but some people
separately present images and text. What this article is saying is that
simultaneous presentation of sound will produce a better result :-)

Mia

  _____

From: MindBrain at yahoogroups.com [mailto:MindBrain at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Robert Karl Stonjek
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:57 PM
To: Mind and Brain; Cognitive NeuroScience
Subject: [Mind and Brain] Article: Sight, Sound Processed Together and
Earlier than Previously Thought

Sight, Sound Processed Together and Earlier than Previously Thought

The area of the brain that processes sounds entering the ears also appears
to process stimulus entering the eyes, providing a novel explanation for why
many viewers believe that ventriloquists have thrown their voices to the
mouths of their dummies.

More generally, these findings from Duke University Medical Center offer new
insights into how the brain takes in and assembles a multitude of stimuli
from the outside world. By studying monkeys, the researchers found that
auditory and visual information is processed together before the combined
signals make it to the brain's cortex, the analytical portion of the brain
that assembles the stimuli from all the senses into coherent thoughts.

"The prevailing wisdom among brain scientists has been that each of the five
senses - sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste - is governed by its own
corresponding region of the brain," said Jennifer Groh, Ph.D., a
neurobiologist in Duke's Center for Cognitive Neuroscience. "The view has
been that each of these areas processes the information separately and sends
that information to the cortex, which puts it all together at the end.

"Now, we are beginning to appreciate that it's not that simple," Groh
continued. "Our results show that there are interactions between the sensory
pathways that occur very early in the process, which implies that the
integration of the different senses may be a more primitive process and one
not requiring high-level brain functioning."

The results of Groh's experiments were published early online in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Groh has a particular interest in a tiny round structure in the brain known
as the inferior colliculus. This structure, less than a half-inch in
diameter, is located in the most primitive area of the brain. It is one of
several early stops in the brain for signals leaving the ear, headed for the
cortex.

"In our experiments, we found that this structure, which had been assumed to
mainly process auditory information, actually responds to visual information
as well," Groh explained. "In fact, about 64 percent of the neurons in the
inferior colliculus can carry visual as well as auditory signals. This means
that visual and auditory information gets combined quite early, and before
the 'thinking part' of the brain can make sense of it."

That is why ventriloquism seems to work, she said. The association between
the voice and the moving mouth of the dummy is made before the viewer
consciously thinks about it. The same process may also explain why the words
being spoken by a talking head on television appear to be coming out of the
mouth, even though the television speakers are located to the side of the
set.

"The eyes see the lips moving and the ears hear the sound and the brain
immediately jumps to the conclusion about the origin of the voice," Groh
said.

Groh said that it makes logical sense for hearing and vision to have some
level of integration in the monkeys she studied, and in humans.

"We generally live in similar ecological niches; we are active during the
day and tend to communicate vocally," she said. "The inferior colliculus is
similar in both species, and with the advent of new imaging technology, like
functional MRI, which can visualize brain regions in real time. We should be
able to correlate what we're seeing in animal models with what happens in
humans."

Groh and her team are now conducting experiments to determine whether or not
one of the senses influences how the other is perceived.

Source: Duke University

http://www.physorg. <http://www.physorg.com/news112982731.html>
com/news112982731.html

Posted by
Robert Karl Stonjek

__._,_.___

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/message/10695;_ylc=X3oDMTM2YjZuZmNq
BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBG1zZ0lkAzEwNjk1
BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE5Mzc5OTc4NgR0cGNJZAMxMDY5NQ-->  in this
topic (1)
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBG1zZ0lkAzEwNjk1BHNlYwNmd
HIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE5Mzc5OTc4Ng--?act=reply&messageNum=10695> Reply
(via web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcXJyOGR1BF9TAzk3M
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc
3RpbWUDMTE5Mzc5OTc4Ng-->  a new topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcmttczdnBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ
3MEc3RpbWUDMTE5Mzc5OTc4Ng-->  | Links
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOG9nc2N2BF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtz
BHN0aW1lAzExOTM3OTk3ODY->  | Database
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjYTJyNThwBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiB
HN0aW1lAzExOTM3OTk3ODY->  | Members
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaTQ5aWd2BF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21icn
MEc3RpbWUDMTE5Mzc5OTc4Ng-->

TcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTkzNzk5Nzg2>
Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbW1hMDdkBF9TAzk3N
Dc2NTkwBGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzB
HN0aW1lAzExOTM3OTk3ODY->  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:MindBrain-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:MindBrain-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Fo
rmat:%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaDM2N21zBF9TAzk3NDc2NT
kwBGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQ
MxMTkzNzk5Nzg2>  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Recent Activity

*                                3

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZG1kb205BF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYn
JzBHN0aW1lAzExOTM3OTk3ODY->  Members

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MindBrain;_ylc=X3oDMTJlanVnN2t1BF9TAzk3MzU5Nz
E0BGdycElkAzY4MTcyMDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA5MTk1OTExBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbW
UDMTE5Mzc5OTc4Ng-->  Your Group

Yahoo! News

Get
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12j0uo3l4/M=493064.10729659.12153716.8674578/D=
groups/S=1709195911:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1193806986/A=3848627/R=0/SIG=10obc6i69/*h
ttp:/news.yahoo.com/>  it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Yahoo! Groups

Moderator
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12jaipr8b/M=493064.10729651.11333342.8674578/D=
groups/S=1709195911:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1193806986/A=4936877/R=0/SIG=11e3tma2a/*h
ttp:/new.groups.yahoo.com/moderatorcentral>  Central

get help and provide

feedback on Groups.

Fitness Zone

on
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12k32mn6q/M=493064.11675218.12153349.11323196/D
=groups/S=1709195911:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1193806986/A=4840951/R=0/SIG=11n59vup4/*
http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/healthandfitness/>  Yahoo! Groups

Find Groups all

about healthy living.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=6817205/grpspId=1709195911/msgId
=10695/stime=1193799786/nc1=3848627/nc2=4936877/nc3=4840951>