ACORNS Language Software - Release 3.0 available for free download

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun Sep 2 22:58:09 UTC 2007

ACORNS Language Software - Release 3.0 available for
free               download

Hi All,

I just completed the new release of the ACORNS software. This
software is freely downloaded. It's purpose is to support tribal
language revitalization programs. The software can be effectively
used with any language. You can visit http://cs.sou.edu/~harveyd and
click on the ACORNS language project for more information.

Version 2.0 had two types of language lessons. Picture and Sound
lessons allows you to attach sound recordings to places on a picture.
When the student clicks on that places in the pictures, the recorded
sound is heard. Multiple Choice lessons work much like those of the
commercial Rosetta Stone product. This kind of lesson attaches a
group of recorded sounds to a series of pictures. The student hears a
sound clip and then clicks on the appropriate picture. This kind of
lesson has proven successful in training our country's diplomats.

Version 3.0 now adds a third lesson type. This lesson, called Hear
and Respond, annotates a sound recording with translation phrases and
words. The student hears the recording (which could be a story for
example) and sees the transcription, either in English or in the
indigenous language. The program randomly leaves words blank which
the student fills in. The program gives audible feedback as to
whether the student is correct, if they are close. This kind of
lesson is useful to improve comprehension and helps the student learn
correct spelling.

Version 3.0 also integrates our Sound Editor directly into the ACORNS
application. This feature enables you to edit recordings. For
example, you might want to delete the parts of the recording that
have 'ahs' or other sounds that don't relate to the language. Our
Sound Editor also includes the 'front end' of portion of a speech
recognition system. We intend to use this as a tool for research as
this project matures. Our long term plan is to create games where
indigenous speakers can interact with the computer in their native
tongues.

Version 3.0 now supports both the Cherokee and Chinook keyboard
fonts. It is easy to add others, so let us know if you have needs for
this feature.

We are still working on the ability to import dictionaries created by
linguists. With this capability, we can create an indigenous scrabble
game, magnet games, flash card lessons, and other neat features. This
feature will also provide user a friendly interface that allows you
to update and maintain the dictionary.

Please let us know if you have any problems. I don't have a quality
support department, so I can only find out about problems if you let
me know. I have added a forum to the ACORNS web page for easy posting
of any problems that you come across.

Thanks for your interest. My goal is for ACORNS to become a useful
tool for restoring culture and language.

Have a great day,

Dan Harvey, Associate Professor, Southern Oregon University

(541) 552-6149, harveyd at sou.edu