New program teaches Cree (fwd)

Wed Sep 5 16:05:22 UTC 2007

New program teaches Cree

September 5, 2007
By BROOKES MERRITT - SUN MEDIA
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/09/05/4471033.html

One of Edmonton's most prominent aboriginal women is leaving a legacy her
grandson will be able to enjoy immediately.

Eva Bereti's five-year-old grandson, Kaylen, is enrolled in a new bilingual
Cree language program named after her.

"Being able to see him grow up learning our language and our culture, it's
just wonderful," Bereti said between tears yesterday, the first day of
school at Our Lady of Peace elementary.

Their new program, called the Eva Bereti Cree Leadership Academy, will
introduce about 25 kindergarten and 10 Grade 1 students to Cree culture
this year.

The curriculum is taught half in English, half in Cree, and is a sister
program to the Cree bilingual curriculum at St. Francis of Assissi
elementary, which has been running since about 2003, Catholic school board
spokesman Lori Nagy said.

Bereti is well-known in Edmonton as the recipient of numerous awards from
the Business and Professional Women's Club, the City of Edmonton and the
Alberta Native Women's Society.

The local aboriginal elder said Canada's aboriginal roots are among its most
important history, and that preservation of native languages is imperative
to any definition of culture.

"I hope that in the future we can also teach the language to parents who may
have lost their Cree over the years," Bereti said.

Board supt. Joan Carr said the mission of the Cree program is two-fold: to
foster pride and knowledge of native culture among Edmonton students, and
to introduce them to a second language, which kids tend to pick up fast.

"The opportunity for kids to learn about native culture first hand is
exceptional," Carr said.

"It's a dream come true to be able to do this with Eva's support."

The program's only teacher at Our Lady of Peace is Lynn Anderson, a
32-year-old Metis woman of Cree descent.

"I've always wanted to teach this," she said. "To help give kids a stronger
cultural identity. They're so eager to learn at this age (four to five
years old) and they can get the accent down almost perfectly."

She said early learning of Cree culture will also go a long way to
instilling pride in young aboriginals, who too often grow up to face social
stigmas of self-abuse associated with aboriginal culture.

"Learning about your heritage from a young age can help circumvent that,"
she said.

"We're teaching tomorrow's leaders."

About 2,400 Edmonton Catholic students (7.5%) are of aboriginal descent.