New multimedia broadcast centre will unite Inuit in northern Labrador (fwd)

Mon Sep 10 17:48:46 UTC 2007

On air again

New multimedia broadcast centre will unite Inuit in northern Labrador

JAMIE TARRANT
The Labradorian
http://www.thelabradorian.ca/index.cfm?iid=2762&sid=24307

Inuit in coastal communities will find it easier to retain their culture
with the construction of a new multimedia broadcast centre in Nain.

The OKalaKatiget Society of Nunatsiavut is behind the project investing
$800,000, the Nunatsiavut Government, though the Tasiujatsuak Trust, is
contributing $500,000. The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) is
providing $450,000 in assistance.

In a separate announcement the Department of Canadian Heritage’s Aboriginal
People’s Program will also provide $389,705 towards the production of radio
and television programming in Inuktitut to give Inuit the opportunity to see
their way of life and hear their language though radio and television.

William Andersen III, President of the Nunatsiavut Government, feels this
centre will assist in the promotion and development of Labrador Inuit
language and culture.

“This project will be part of Nunatsiavut Government’s commitment to
long-term objective of Inuktitut becoming a working language in
Nunatsiavut,” stated Mr. Andersen.

Loyola Hearn, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, who spoke on behalf of Peter
Mackay, Minister of ACOA, said his government is working with its partners
to get things done for the people of Labrador.

“This investment of $450,000 will play an important role in the cultural
life of the area, and will also provide a medium for discussion on
important economic and cultural issues. It will help create new
opportunities for Inuit people.”

Fran Williams, Executive Director of the OkalaKatiget Society believes
helping Inuit youth generations maintain their language and culture has
always been one of their goals.

“We believe the work the society does goes a long way towards retention of
language because we actually bring the language into the homes when we are
on air. The type of stories we do, both radio and television makes our
audience more aware of the issues that are happening daily, weekly and
monthly. If they have to make a decision, they can make an informed one,”
explained Mrs. Williams.

The multipurpose media centre will also aide in reaching out to communities
on the north coast as well.

“We keep the communities connected in a way because quite often they use our
services as a message board to relatives who are in another community. In
television, one of our roles is in awareness and education. This decides
the type of programming we enter into such as diabetes, or health
prevention type information,” said Mrs. Williams.

The new broadcast centre will replace the society’s television and
administration offices that burned to the ground in 2005. Mrs. Williams has
been executive director since 1992 and worked very hard with getting Inuit
television back on the air.

“We had been looking at a new building for a number of years actually. The
fact that it burned down just sped things up and made it more urgent,” she
said.

Equipment promised for the new centre includes new television cameras, and
editing suites. For radio, the centre will be provided with a new
soundboard, and everything will be upgraded to digital format, where
interviews can be conducted and edited on a computer.

This facility is just the start. The concept of an Inuit newspaper or
magazine has also been on her mind.

“The only barrier we have to print a magazine is money. If we were able to
get enough money to actually get the production, plus a few people to staff
it we could get into that,” contended Mrs. Williams.

Until then, the 1.7 million invested is also hoped to encourage
participation in Aboriginal organizations including Aboriginal women’s and
youth groups. Construction of the facility will be finalized and ready for
occupancy in February 2008.

reporter at thelabradorian.ca