FW: Indigenous Declaration Approved at Last

Derksen Jacob jieikobu at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 15 08:31:35 UTC 2007

With regard to the Universal Declaration, I have to say that, as a Canadian, I'm embarassed and ashamed of my gov't. Again! (For what it's worth, I never voted for the clown we have in office at present.)
J. Derksen

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:22:33 -0400From: dzo at BISHARAT.NETSubject: [ILAT] FW: Indigenous Declaration Approved at LastTo: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU

FYI…

From: owner-lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu [mailto:owner-lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Teresa McCartySent: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:44 AMTo: lgpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upenn.eduSubject: Indigenous Declaration Approved at Last

Dear Friends, You may have seen this in the papers today.  Finally, after 22 years, the Universal Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples has been approved by the U.N. General Assembly, with 143 of 192 delegates voting in favor (voting against were the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand).  The attached UN newsletter was forwarded by Tove Skutnabb-Kangas; see the first article.This is definitely cause for celebration and appreciation of all those who fought long and hard for this over more than 2 decades.Teresa L. McCarty, Ph.D.Alice Wiley Snell Professor of Education Policy StudiesArizona State UniversityMary Lou Fulton College of EducationDivision of Educational Leadership and Policy StudiesFarmer Building 120 - PO Box 872411Tempe, AZ 85287-2411PH: 480.965.6357  FAX: 480.965-1880Teresa.McCarty at asu.eduThe stories in today's IPS UN Journal include the following:NATIVE PEOPLES SCORE HISTORIC POLITICAL VICTORYHaider Rizvi UNITED NATIONS, Sep 13 (IPS) - After 22 years of long and cumbersome negotiations, leaders of the world's 270 million indigenous people have won a powerful symbolic victory in their fight for recognition of the right to self-determination and control over their land and resources. CHINA, INDIA, BRAZIL, SOUTH AFRICA TILT GLOBAL POWER BALANCELinus AtarahHELSINKI, Sep 13 (IPS) - Four developing countries -- China, India, Brazil and South Africa (CIBS) -- are poised to become new southern engines of global economic growth with increasing potential to provide prosperity to other developing countries, said prominent economics researchers here. U.S., U.N. STAGE DUELING CLIMATE MEETSThalif DeenUNITED NATIONS, Sep 13 (IPS) - Are the United Nations and the United States trying to outdo each other by hosting two parallel summit meetings on the same subject -- climate change -- during the same week at the end of September? 'CHINA UNFAZED BY DEMOCRACY PARTNERSHIP'Stephen de TarczynkiMELBOURNE, Sep 13 (IPS) - Analysts here say that while China does not welcome the Democracy Partnership' announced by President George W. Bush at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Sydney last week, it is not overly alarmed either. WINTER OLYMPICS IN RUSSIA-- PUTIN WARNS AGAINST CORRUPTIONMOSCOW, Sep 13 (IPS) - President Vladimir Putin has issued a blunt warning to heads of organisations and regional administrations involved with the preparations for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia's southern sea resort, to eschew corruption. NEWSBRIEFS...'EU Not Aiding Women Enough'Parliaments Said to be Weak in Fighting Desertification________________________________________________IPS, United Nations, Room S-485, New York, N.Y. 10017Tel.(212)963-6156/963-1175, Fax (212)754-2791/888-6099-- Dr Tove Skutnabb-KangasRoskilde University, Dept of Languages and Culture, DenmarkÅbo Akademi University Vasa, Dept of Education, Finland Use only home address - get it from me.email:SkutnabbKangas followed by @gmail.com <http://gmail.com> home page: http://akira.ruc.dk/~tovesk/