surge of news on endangered languages...

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 20 00:00:44 UTC 2007

I think that is what Richard means. Consider an example:

In most Australian languages, there is no voicing contrast, voicing is
phonetic and determined by environment (syllable initial = voiced,
syllable final = voiceless). But some languages have a length of closure
distinction for intervocalic stops. It's possible that the linguist,
having been conditioned throughout their life to attend to VOT and not
length of closure, would misinterpret the contrast, or, even if they are
aware of the 'correct' phonology, would still enunciate the short/long
closure contrast as short-long VOT contrast.

(I'm sure there are plenty of people on this list who are more versed in
Australian phonology, I'm just regurgitating things I've heard.)

If, in the unfortunate but altogether likely situation that the last
native speakers die, and the young semi-speakers (as the various
articles have termed them) have not been conditioned for the closure
contrast, then if and when they/the community restart learning the
language, via linguists directly, rather than the linguist merely
facilitating transmission between one generation and the next, the
contrast might become (subconsciously) fixed as VOT.

This is all a bit hypothetical I agree, but it's been something I've
been grappling with for a while. I, for one, wouldn't trust my ability
to faithfully pronounce a geminate as opposed to a voiceless stop.
Hopefully though, it won't come to that.

Which is one reason we have to maintain that link between generations of
speakers, however threadbare it becomes.

AW