upsurge

Richard Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Thu Sep 20 16:34:16 UTC 2007

Natasha,
tizamêh (i am thankful) for your great great response
I feel now there are people who truly understand,and it is assuring.
and I so appreciate this forum to express such highly specific concerns.
and i know exactly what you mean by a linguists being TOO good a
phonetician,
writing even the buzz coming from the closed mouth before a words even
spoken    as    "nde" "ngy"
sometimes shown as lower case letters to create that "pre-sound"
which creates a choice that should  be discussed and decided on
by an actual language committee...not a sole linguist.

I think your work in harmony with the Mutsun community
is the way to go and your obvious flexibility to "bend" with the people
even against your own original "prescriptions" is what we need from
linguists who should be assisting living people groups towards the health of
their culture almost as medical health care workers come to assist .

Originally our recent linguist was given a pretty open road
 "the heart stopped!----fix it!"
and i really can't over emphasize the fact that he has done a tremendous job
working with what he has...but the heart was pounded to beat again,
and it is now time for the body to start it's own heart rhythms
with the doctors assistance and consultation.
Natasha,
may i share parts of your response with our Wendat language group?

Richard

*