New Tokelauan language resource launched today (fwd)

Fri Sep 28 12:02:59 UTC 2007

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0709/S00520.htm

New Tokelauan language resource launched today

Friday, 28 September 2007, 4:22 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Government

Tau Gagana Tokelauan: New Tokelauan language resource launched today

A new language resource launched today will help preserve and protect the
Tokelauan language and culture for our grandchildren, says Associate
Minister of Pacific Island Affairs Luamanuvao Winnie Laban.

The Tau Gagana Tokelauan language resource is a part of the Labour-led
government's Mind Your Language programme and joins the Cook Island and
Niuean resources launched last month.

Speaking at the launch in Wellington today, Luamanuvao Winnie Laban said
that of the 6,800 Tokelauan people living in New Zealand, only 40 per cent
could hold an everyday conversation in their native tongue.

"We want to see that number increase, especially amongst our younger New
Zealand born Tokelauans," said Laban.

"The comprehensive resource includes three work books at different levels of
ability, and a Tokelauan calendar that everyone in the family can learn
together," said Laban.

"This new resource is fabulous news for New Zealand's Tokelauan communities.
New Zealand has a special relationship with Tokelau and I hope our Tokelauan
communities embrace the opportunity to learn their language.

"Losing a language is to lose diversity, culture and identity. Everyone
suffers. Today we celebrate an important milestone that will help ensure
Tokelauan will not be lost," said Laban.

The Tau Gagana Tokelauan Mind Your Language programme is a part of the
Labour-led government's $600,000 allocated in Budget 2006 to support and
revive Pasifika languages at risk of becoming extinct.

One research estimate suggests that nearly half of the world's 7000
languages will be extinct by the end of the century. Laban said it was not
only important to preserve Tokelauan, but also important to preserve it in
New Zealand.

"I wish to congratulate and thank the Tokelau Mind Your Language Working
Group and the Ministry of Pacific Island Affairs for bringing this
wonderful resource into fruition," said Laban.

ENDS