Ket isn't a dialect, it's a language (fwd link)

Earl Otchingwanigan wiigwaas at MSN.COM
Tue Apr 15 00:01:13 UTC 2008

To Natasha Warner:  Your words in regard to "language vs dialect" are appreciated ~ too, there is a current debate in this neck of the woods that strikes a similar cord, only in this case, Ojibwe {Chippewa} vs Odawaa {Ottawa} ~ some argue Ottawa is a dialect of Ojibwe, others argue Ottawa is a distinct language in its own right, particularly the language of Manitoulin Island where the language has under gone a notable change in the past hundred years.  Thanks, Wayaaseshkang
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Natasha L Warner<mailto:nwarner at U.ARIZONA.EDU>
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU<mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
  Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [ILAT] Ket isn't a dialect, it's a language (fwd link)

  Hi,

  I think you might be being too generous to the copy editor or whoever
  wrote the title by putting it down to avoiding repeating the word
  "language."  (The title does sound bad with "language" twice though, I
  admit).  Can you imagine someone saying that, say, Hindi is related to
  English, an ancient Germanic dialect?  I think their calling Ket a
  dialect bothers us because the mainstream press only uses "dialect" to
  describe things they don't think of as full languages, or at least
  languages they think of as obscure.

  Thanks for posting the example.  I think I just read another one of
  "dialect" for "language" earlier today.

  Thanks,

  Natasha

  Natasha Warner
  Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
  University of Arizona
  PO Box 210028
  Tucson, AZ 85721-0028
  U.S.A.

  Until August 2008:
  Visiting Researcher
  Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
  PO Box 310
  6500 AH Nijmegen
  the Netherlands