Tribes aim to revive language (fwd link)

Wed Apr 30 19:37:06 UTC 2008

Tribes aim to revive language
Summit planned at Barona reservation

By Onell R. Soto
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
April 29, 2008

Pat Curo grew up on the Barona Indian reservation in the 1950s, when the tribe's
native language was heard outside church and at funerals, parties and tribal
gatherings.

“We grew up speaking English,” Curo said. “We didn't speak much Indian in the
house.”

But Curo's grandparents lived 300 yards away, and they spoke it at home.

One time, an uncle who was there “told me something in Indian,” Curo recalled.
He couldn't answer.

Embarrassed, he asked his grandparents to speak to him in their native language
so he could learn.

Access full article below:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080429-9999-1m29yuman.html