UH Hilo's Hawaiian Ph.D. program ordered to improve (fwd link)

David Lewis David.Lewis at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Fri Aug 1 02:18:41 UTC 2008

This is a very interesting article. This issue of program conflict of interest is a common enough critique of any indigenous people who work within their cultural sphere. A friend, Beth Piatote, now at Berkeley, had this problem when working at a newspaper. they would not allow her to write articles about Indian people as it was called a conflict of interest. However, they do not say there is a conflict of interest when former or current athletes work in sportscasting or write articles about sports. Now, clearly this is not the same case, but it is related. What this says to me is that Indigenous people cannot be unbiased or avoid a conflict of interest when involved at the highest levels of education, when the issue is their own cultural phenomenon. If this is the case do the similarly monitor and criticize French people who are getting a PhD within French studies? Of course not. In fact, in American universities, it is quite common that people who are studying a "classical language" will be teaching in the department to gain experience in teaching and to paid for the college fees.

The implications in the article are unspecific- what exactly is the program doing wring that is different from a classical language program?

*´¨)
. ·´ ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´   David G. Lewis
      (¸.*´ ¸.·´ `·-* * * `·-*
Manager, Cultural Resources Department
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology on behalf of phil cash cash
Sent: Thu 7/31/2008 10:50 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] UH Hilo's Hawaiian Ph.D. program ordered to improve (fwd link)

Here is the full URL:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/BREAKING01/80730060/-1/LOCALNEWSFRONT

Listserv note: I tried turning the above URL into a "tinyURL" but it did not seem to fly.  So for some, the width of your email display area will create line breaks often breaking the URL as well.  When this happens the link may not work.  You may have to resort to a news search in your favorite news search engine and find today's news item.

Phil
UofA ILAT mg