Saving Oneida language becomes a full time job (fwd link)

Sun Aug 3 18:51:43 UTC 2008

Saving Oneida language becomes a full time job

By WILLIAM KATES | Associated Press Writer
August 3, 2008

ONEIDA, N.Y. - Heath Hill looks forward to the day when all ceremonies in the
Oneida Indian Nation Longhouse can once again be held in the native language
spoken by someone from his upstate New York tribe.

"We used to have to pay people to come out here and help us," said the
32-year-old Hill. "I didn't really care for that. We want to be able to do it
for ourselves."

"I want to raise my family in the traditional ways but it's hard when you can't
even speak your own language," said Hill, who along with his girlfriend are
among eight tribal members finishing up a unique two-year program to learn the
Oneida language.

Indian tribes across the country are taking steps to preserve their native
languages. The Oneida Indian Nation of New York has made it a full-time job,
paying tribal members what they would earn in other jobs to immerse themselves
in the nation's spoken word.

Access full article below:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--languagerevival0803aug03,0,5341954.story