Protect, Promote Endangered Languages...

Sat Aug 9 19:15:05 UTC 2008

Article quote:

"As 2008 is the International Year of Languages, this International Day is also
an opportunity to recognize the silent crisis confronting many of the world’s
languages, the overwhelming majority of which are indigenous peoples’
languages.  The loss of these languages would not only weaken the world’s
cultural diversity, but also our collective knowledge as a human race.  I call
on States, indigenous peoples, the United Nations system and all relevant
actors to take immediate steps to protect and promote endangered languages and
to ensure the safe passage of this shared heritage to future generations."

PROTECT, PROMOTE ENDANGERED LANGUAGES, SECRETARY-GENERAL URGES IN MESSAGE
FOR INTERNATIONAL DAY OF WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLE
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2008/sgsm11715.doc.htm